The AC & JC Foundation, Inc., is a private family foundation based in New York City created to further the philanthropic goals of its founders, Audrey (née Simons) and Jacob Cappell. Founded in 2019, the foundation is governed by a four-member board of directors and has a staff of three. In 2020, grants and operations totaled $1.2 million and are expected to grow. As co-presidents at the foundation, the Cappells bring an interest and commitment to bettering the lives of New Yorkers, especially those populations who lack access and opportunity to much-needed resources that allow them to reach their fullest potential. Specific philanthropic interests to date include: NYC educational, cultural and social service programs; immigrant rights; social and racial justice; Judaism; and conservation and animal welfare.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Finance & Operations Manager oversees and administers all aspects of finance, administration, accounting management and reporting, grants management and human resources for the Foundation. They are responsible for the functional management of the foundation’s general ledger and accounts payable functions, effectively managing the delivery of payments, which include grants, expense reimbursements and general vendor invoices. In addition, they will be responsible for payroll and benefits administration, grants management and compliance, as well as the daily office management of the foundation. They will partner with key staff at the Foundation for a Just Society (FJS) to coordinate essential information systems technology and facilities & property maintenance. They should be an effective multitasker who can balance multiple requests while maintaining a high level of focus and accuracy.
• Maintain and reconcile the foundation’s general ledger accounting records and charts of accounts. Ensure that all transactions are recorded properly and to the correct account.
• Manage and prepare monthly and annual financial statements and supporting schedules for management, board and external use.
• Manage accounts payable operations: review, approve and process the variety of payments (grants, operation and program expenses, investment funding, etc.). Address and resolve issues arising from vendors.
• Administer and implement the expense management system, Bill.com, Expensify, JPMC Access for all payments to grantee partners, vendors and related entities.
• Create and implement best practices and workflow for all finance-related systems.
• In partnership with the executive director, prepare and maintain the foundation’s annual budget.
• Prepare monthly budget-to-actual analysis and review year-to-date results at least quarterly, preferably monthly.
• Coordinate with external auditors to deliver the annual external audit, including audit schedules and draft financials, CHAR 500 and Form 990 PF.
• Prepare reports/presentations on the foundation’s giving history, projections and trends, including preparing detailed progress reports to the executive director on the organization’s grantmaking.
• Actively participate in organizational planning, set goals, monitor progress and evaluate results to ensure achievement of organization and project objectives and operating requirements.
• Remain current on U.S. GAAP and other regulatory development impacting the private foundation industry.
• In partnership with the executive director, maintain a strong knowledge of the foundation’s operations and budgets to develop strategies to achieve the foundation’s operational goals while remaining in compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Create and maintain the foundation’s accounting policies and procedures manual.
• Oversee payroll and benefits administration, which is currently performed by outside HR consultants. Serve as direct liaison to HR consultants and ensure compliance with related labor laws and regulations.
• In partnership with the HR consultant, maintain, implement and update human resource policies, guidelines and procedures, including performance management, employee relations and development, training and recruitment.
• In partnership with HR consultant, manage compensation and benefits administration including the processing of benefits applications, the coordination of benefit enrollment and the associated correspondence.
• Oversee new employee orientation and liaise with HR consultant to ensure employee training programs are available and accessible
• In consultation with the executive director and legal counsel, as needed, ensure compliance through monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements.
• In close collaboration with the Executive Director, develop and sustain an inclusive and supportive culture for the newly created team and lead all team building activities.
• Maintain accurate, confidential personnel records.
Grants Management and Compliance
• In collaboration with FJS grants management team, assist with the build out, implementation and maintenance of a new grants management system (GivingData).
• Coordinate with special assistant to the president to complete due diligence and financial review of all grant applications throughout the grant cycle, from application to closeout.
• Support the preparation of docket materials for board and committee meetings.
Information Technology & Facilities Maintenance
• Coordinate and liaise with the FJS IT team to ensure continuity and security of the IT network and systems for AC&JC staff members, and that user accounts are properly monitored.
• Coordinate and liaise with the FJS facilities team to disseminate essential information about the daily operations of the building.
• Coordinate with the FJS hospitality specialist to manage all office supply purchasing and efficient functioning of the office.
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, business operations/management or related field.
• Five to seven years of experience in finance, administration and HR functions, preferably with experience in the not-for-profit sector.
• Working knowledge and understanding of internal control requirements.
• Proven ability to analyze and problem-solve data, interpret and communicate financial statements, budgets and forecasts to diverse audiences including the board of directors.
• Proven ability to work independently with others in a wide variety of circumstances, adapt to diverse personalities and communication styles, and interact with a diverse group of individuals and teams including neurodiverse populations.
• Organizational and project-management planning experience
• Excellent MS Office skills, particularly in Excel.
• Strong attention to detail, solution focused, able to creatively solve problems and proactively anticipate needs.
• Address confidential matters using sound judgment and discretion.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND CULTURE
Salary Range: $85,000 to $125,000 depending on experience.
The AC & JC Foundation offers a benefits package that includes:
• 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision insurance for all eligible employees and their spouses, domestic partners and eligible dependents. Commitment to providing transgender-inclusive healthcare.
• Paid vacation days and closed Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day
• 401(k) retirement plan (with employer match).
• 100% employer-paid life insurance, supplemental short-term disability and long-term disability.
• Parental leave with full salary continuation.
• Student loan repayment or college savings assistance for dependents.
• Educational support benefits.
The AC & JC Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences. The AC & JC Foundation is committed to cultivating an organizational culture where everyone is able to bring their full, authentic selves to work. The foundation believes a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace is one where all employees, no matter their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, neurodiversity, veteran status, education or disability, are valued and respected.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit one PDF containing a concise cover letter explaining why this role would be a great fit for you and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 30, 2021.
No phone inquiries please.