Job title: Communications Associate
Location: Lomé, Togo or home-based
Application deadline: March 3rd at midnight UTC (or until post is filled)
Start date: Immediately or latest by April 6th
Type of contract: Consultancy
Languages required: French, English
I / ABOUT XOESE
XOESE, the Francophone Women’s Fund is a feminist foundation created on September 1, 2015. Its objectives are to:
• Provide financial support for the implementation of initiatives promoting the rights of women, young women and girls;
• Strengthen the institutional capacities of women’s and young women’s organizations;
• Encourage and support innovative initiatives for the empowerment of women’s and young women’s organizations.
Its secretariat is based in Lomé, Togo. But XOESE’s staff is made up of employees and volunteers based at headquarters or at home.
Its coverage area includes in total the 25 French-speaking countries of the Great South. The XOESE Fund will complete its grant-making and capacity building activities for women’s and young women’s organizations within those countries.
II / JOB SUMMARY
The Communications Associate will play a strategic role in key aspects of XOESE’s communications work to ensure the story of the Fund and the Francophone Global South women’s movements are told in a powerful, engaging, and consistent way. The Associate supports the coordination and implementation of the communication activities in different parts of XOESE’s work.
The Associate will be supervised by the Resource Mobilization and Communications Officer (RM&C Officer) and will work closely with members of the Programs Team.
III/ TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of communication strategies.
• Maintain XOESE’s online media platforms (website, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) and ensure information is posted regularly, correctly and in a way that is user friendly and attractive.
• Maintain XOESE’s contact lists and directories.
• Assist in developing guidelines to support and empower staff, grantee partners, members, and advisors in their communication work.
• Draft media releases and media kit development.
• Manage XOESE’s image database.
• Assist in the creation and distribution of Annual Reports and other major publications.
• Record, review and update the Fund’s communication strategies.
Digital engagement and content generation
• Produce original online content (i.e. videos, infographics, photos) that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action such as awareness-raising, fundraising, list-building, etc.
• Assist in organizing virtual events such as webinars, online discussions, google hangouts, etc.
• Create and distribute emails, including newsletters.
• Cultivate relationships with key media outlets including journalists and bloggers to increase XOESE’s reach and amplify the work of francophone feminist and women’s and young women’s rights activists and organizations from the Global South.
Other related tasks
• Contribute to the organization of events and provide logistical support as needed.
• Travel and represent XOESE at meetings as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
V / QUALIFICATIONS
The incumbent must be convinced of the mission and vision of the Fund and be committed to respecting its values and contributing to achieving its objectives. She/he must have:
• At least two years of experience in communications related to activism, women human rights, gender or development.
• Experience working on women’s rights and organizing in the Global South.
• University degree, or equivalent training/experience, in related areas of communication, public affairs, journalism and/or marketing.
• An understanding of women human rights, feminism, advocacy, activism and the donor environment around women’s rights.
Required Expertise & Skills
• Demonstrated experience designing and implementing successful communications initiatives and campaigns.
• Strong writing and editing skills, including storytelling and digital story skills.
• Experience in using websites, social media platforms and management tools.
• Graphic and website design skills and experience using related design and editing tools (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro…)
• Fluency in French and English, both written and spoken.
• Organized and detailed oriented
• Strong time-management skills and ability to multi-task
• Experience working in a Women’s Fund or international organization.
• Knowledge of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
HOW TO APPLY?
To apply, please send your application package (in French) containing the documents below to email@example.com as soon as possible and before the March 3rd deadline:
1. a cover letter (including your salary aspiration),
2. a recent resume or CV,
3. copies of your diplomas and certificates,
4. the contact details of 3 three reference persons (including 1-2 of your former employers),
5. recent writing sample up to one page long which also showcases your graphic design skills.
Please mention the job title “Communications Associate” in the subject line.
XOESE encourages people from ethnic minorities, indigenous communities and people with disabilities to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Due to the high number of applications that we receive, we regret to inform that we will not be able to personally respond to candidates that are not selected for an interview.
If you do not hear back from us within 6 weeks following the application deadline, please assume that your application was not selected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
All shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo rigorous checks of the references provided as well as their employment history.
No phone calls please.