Communications and Marketing Manager
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
About Rise Up:
Rise Up, based at the Public Health Institute, activates women and girls to transform their lives, families and communities for a more just and equitable world through investing in local solutions, strengthening leadership, and building movements. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 600 leaders have successfully advocated for 120 new and improved laws and policies impacting the lives of 135 million people in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the U.S.
Rise Up is at an exciting time of growth and expansion—we have a new strategic plan that will maximize the organization’s impact to more effectively support Rise Up Leaders to create large-scale change for gender equity globally, and we recently received our largest gift ever from Mackenzie Scott. As a new member of Rise Up’s diverse team, you will have the opportunity to shape Rise Up’s strategic communications and contribute to the organization’s direction.
The Communications and Marketing Manager position is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, bold, and visionary storyteller to develop and implement strategic communications to advance Rise Up’s priorities and gender equity around the world. The Communications and Marketing Manager will work closely with program, development, and communications staff to execute a communications strategy and build the organization’s brand across various channels. They will report to the Senior Manager of Development, Partnerships, and Communications and will supervise and support our growing communications team.
The Communications and Marketing Manager will serve as a strong strategic thinker and capitalize on opportunities that will further Rise Up’s ability to clarify its vision and desired impact and advance its reputation with key external stakeholders, potential collaborators, and the general public.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage process for creation and implementation of organization-wide strategy for communications, marketing, and Rise Up’s positioning in line with the organization’s strategic plan and in collaboration with communications team members; including associated work plan that outlines major objectives, target audiences, key messages, resources, key actions, activities, and assets.
- Collaborate with Director of Learning and Programs to implement and share learnings from Rise Up’s learning agenda for influence across the sector, and integrate this new agenda into the communications work plan.
- Guide and support staff in the amplification and promotion of Rise Up’s model, achievements, and Rise Up Leader voices and impacts, with a focus on featuring authentic local voices and stories; leverage key moments like global convenings, partner events, and awareness days (IDG, IWD) to advance organization priorities and goals, including fundraising.
- Develop Rise Up’s social media strategy and oversee social media accounts and content to grow web presence and maximize following, reach, impressions, and interactions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Amplify program impact and success stories by developing multi-media, digital content in collaboration with communications team members and consultants/vendors in service of marketing, fundraising, and programmatic goals, including but not limited to videos, graphics, virtual events etc.
Strategic Partnerships and Marketing:
- Identify and manage strategic partnerships with ally institutions to amplify Rise Up’s core messaging and visibility with sector-leading NGO, foundation, and government institutions and social impact driven corporations, including through conference and event opportunities.
- Advance Rise Up’s learning agenda and support production of thought leadership content (Op-eds and thought pieces) in collaboration with Rise Up staff and strategic partners.
Management and Supervision:
- Support, mentor and supervise Communications Coordinator and a growing team to further develop and strengthen skill-sets and overall professional growth.
- Manage performance evaluation processes in collaboration with Rise Up Senior Management.
- Manage relationship with communications consultants and oversee consultants’ scopes of work.
- Develop communications budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years of communications and marketing experience in non-profit, advocacy, or political space is required, 6 to 10 years of the related experience is preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing an organization communications strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal communications and leadership skills, with the ability to work well in a team and build relationships with people from a diversity of backgrounds.
- Outstanding written communication and editing skills.
- Creative, strategic thinker with the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Deep commitment to women’s and girls’ empowerment globally.
- Strong design and digital communication experience preferred.
- Experience working with stakeholders and global partners working on gender equity issues preferred.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and/ or international environment preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel 10-20% of the time, both domestically and internationally (when it is safe to do so).
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required.
- Master’s Degree with a communications related concentration or equivalent is preferred.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA) STATUS
This position is classified as exempt based on the job duties. However, based on the FTE, salary level of the employee, or federal/state/local laws, the employee may be classified as nonexempt.