About Access Now:
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About this role:
As a campaigner, you will passionately defend human rights in our increasingly digital world. You will have the opportunity to take Access Now’s campaigns to a new level of size and impact at local, regional, and global levels. A new position with significant opportunities to demonstrate leadership, creativity, and growth, there is also potential to adapt this position to a regional lead role – Africa Advocacy Manager – for candidates with a specific level of experience and expertise.
This role sits within the Advocacy team and reports through the Deputy Advocacy Director. The Campaigner works closely with our Advocacy and Policy teams, the small regional team, and our #KeepItOn Lead.
You’re an advocate and movement builder. You have an instinctive knack for identifying and developing the strategies and partnerships needed to protect people who are using and being targeted by digital tools, and the global experience and outlook to do it right. You are also a creative and empathetic communicator who knows how to speak directly to and with the people whose rights are most at risk. You’re self-motivated, deeply invested in Access Now’s mission, and excited about collaborating with a diverse global team.
What you will do:
• Identify opportunities for impact and develop campaign strategies to capture them, managing and coordinating actions to address human rights concerns for individuals and communities across Africa
• Balance a portfolio of rapid-response and long-term campaigns that is both sustainable and scalable for maximum impact. Among many others, this will include leading country-level campaigns connected to global Access Now initiatives like #KeepItOn, #WhyID, and #BanBS
• Develop and execute a well-rounded engagement strategy for connecting directly with the at-risk individuals we aim to serve, the grassroots organizations who support them, and media and other key stakeholders who can help advance our advocacy goals
• Produce engaging and dynamic content for a range of audiences, including articles, op-eds, speeches, campaign materials, press releases, blog posts, social media, and multimedia content
• Collaborate with Access Now team members and partner organizations to keep track of digital rights developments in the region as they unfold and prepare our timely response
• Expand our reach beyond the digital rights community, developing communities of action to impact decision makers, building an intersectional partner network, and coordinating with the digital engagement team to get our resources into the right hands
• Participate in and organize events that facilitate coalition building, strategic partnerships, and direct connection with relevant decision makers
• Contribute to RightsCon programming and arrange gatherings or meetings with regional stakeholders
• Coordinate cross-team work by setting clear plans and priorities, monitoring progress, and proactively communicating as conditions change
Skills, education, and mindset you will bring:
• Passion for our mission, with understanding of the unique challenges at-risk and marginalized communities are confronting, as well as familiarity with developments in technology and its impact on human rights
• Knowledge of the human rights and geopolitical environment, as well as nuances of culture and communication styles, in countries throughout East, West, Central, and Southern Africa
• Experience in advocacy, journalism, communications, campaigning, or organizing, and the proven ability to apply this capacity toward complex and concurrent goals
• Excellent persuasive writing and speaking skills, and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
• Proven capacity to design solution sets that achieve meaningful change in fluid and rapidly changing contexts
• Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a team
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
• Fluency in English
Helpful to have:
• Experience having worked for the non-profit sector, especially human rights NGOs
• Experience working with a distributed team, and effective project management and internal communication in that context
• Working proficiency in another language relevant for the region, such as Swahili, Amharic, or French
• Basic knowledge in digital security best practices, or a comfort with learning new technologies and technical concepts
• Basic knowledge of HTML
• Past experience with a CRM system or management of a contact database
• Comfort with social media management tools, and a track record of success in using digital platforms to reach specific audiences
This is a full-time position. While preference is for applications from individuals with work location and authorization in Ghana or Kenya, we will consider applications from elsewhere in the region, and from particularly strong candidates in any of our locations in Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Toronto, Tunis, or Washington, DC. The successful candidate must possess the right to work at the location in which they will be based; we are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation in line with skills and experience, and benefits packages that align with our localities and regions. Benefits for this specific role include a strong global culture aligned around:
• Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program resulting in 36 to 40 days annually
• Professional development and growth opportunities
• Extensive workplace flexibility
• Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
• Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
• Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Please submit the following documents:
• Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
• Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.