Wedu envisions a world where half of all leaders are women. Since 2012, we have supported the unique leadership journeys of over 3,000 women from 27 countries across Asia through facilitating over 6,000 mentorship, delivering leadership development training, providing access to opportunities, and funding higher education through Future Income Sharing Agreements.
To support this impact, we have a globally distributed team and are registered as a Charity in England (since 2012), a Foundation in Thailand (since 2014), and an NGO in Cambodia (since 2019). Some trustees of the UK Charity have come to the end of their terms and we are looking for outstanding people to succeed them, while also taking this opportunity to expand the size of the board and introduce officers.
With four seats to fill, we have an opportunity to renew and enrich the perspectives reflected in our Board by bringing on people with diverse experiences. We are seeking volunteers to serve for three years, contributing approximately 3-5 hours per month for the roles of Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary. There are no geographic constraints.
This is an exciting time for Wedu. We have a new Executive Director who joined earlier this year and we are entering a season of organisational change – undertaking a strategic planning process while continuing to strengthen our global operations. Within this process, we are revisiting our global structure and envision the UK entity playing an impact enablement role, providing a global perspective and network-wide support services, facilitating collaborative efforts among entities, and mobilising resources.
The board plays a key role in ensuring Wedu makes strides towards our vision of a world where half of all leaders are women. Trustees represent a variety of geographies, skills, expertise, and perspectives. We expect trustees to:
– Provide strategic oversight and guidance to Wedu, fostering the health of the organisation at a global level and ensuring good governance
– Help shape the strategic ambition of the organisation and steer our growth
– Provide strong fiduciary oversight to the UK charity, ensuring and supporting compliance with legal regulations and the charity’s governing documents and policies
– Support Wedu’s Executive Director in delivering her role and responsibilities
– Give annually at a level that is personally significant and make Wedu one of their top philanthropic priorities
– Participate in virtual board meetings each quarter
– Serve on joint committee(s) in their area of interest alongside board members from Thailand and Cambodia and support special projects
– Champion Wedu’s work by representing the organisation, mobilising resources, and making warm introductions
We are looking for trustees who are excited about guiding Wedu through this period of change and who can help us be thoughtful about how to best leverage our strengths in this next chapter. We welcome people who bring an evident passion for Wedu’s vision and mission, and can think and work strategically. We seek trustees who can provide fiduciary oversight for the UK charity while also contributing to our global strategy and activities. The role is unpaid, with reasonable out of pocket expenses reimbursed. The initial term is three years, and is extendable.
Applicants will have a demonstrated commitment to gender equity and women’s leadership. They will ideally have previous governance and/or executive experience and an international perspective would be a significant advantage. We will prioritise candidates with strong experience in one or more of the following areas:
– Feminist leadership within the international development/ social change space and a successful track record of leading change. This trustee will serve as the Chair, leading the board, steering organisational growth, ensuring strong governance, and harnessing the expertise of Trustees and Wedu’s leadership team.
– Experience and expertise in financial management and accounting, ideally with a financial qualification and a strong understanding of charity financial management and systems. This trustee will serve as the Treasurer, guiding and advising Wedu on financial affairs, bringing a finance perspective into board discussions, and providing robust financial oversight.
– Extensive experience with the charity sector in the UK, with a keen understanding of effective governance and prior experience serving on boards. This trustee will serve as the Secretary, working closely with the ED to ensure full compliance with the charity commission and UK regulations.
– Lived experience of young women’s leadership in Asia from within our growing community of Rising Stars. This trustee will enrich decision making by contributing insights that build collective understanding and ground discussions and decisions in the realities and priorities of the people Wedu serves.
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in joining the board and how your skills, experiences, and perspectives position you to be an effective trustee to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2021. The committee will be reviewing and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis. References will be requested from shortlisted candidates.
To learn more about this opportunity, contact email@example.com, or schedule a 15-minute introductory call with our Executive Director at calendly.com/clairenaylortrein/.
Claire Naylor-Trein l firstname.lastname@example.org