MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; in which resources are shared equitably and sustainably; in which women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and in which people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE seeks a highly motivated, dynamic and organized candidate to fill the position of Grants Manager. Reporting to MADRE’s Director of Human Rights Advocacy, the Grants Manager will manage MADRE’s growing portfolio of government and large institutional grants. The Grants Manager will monitor and ensure grant compliance at the various stages of large advocacy grant lifecycles. The Grants Manager may be responsible for supervision of a staff member and / or intern. The Grants Manager will work to establish and diffuse grants management best practices and will be responsible for identifying and facilitating the grant management needs of MADRE staff and grassroots partners, as well as meeting the external needs and requirements of MADRE’s government and large institutional funders.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Review large government and institutional funding RFPs to understand funder programmatic and financial requirements and advise on grant applications.
• Conduct assessments with partners to gauge interest and capacity for receiving large government and institutional funding, including assessments of financial capacity to ensure adequate mechanisms for financial accountability are in place.
• Serve as project manager for grant proposals to include strategy development, timelines, and team responsibilities for high quality large grants.
• Assist in development and submission of proposals for large government and institutional grants, including the preparation of complex budgets in compliance with funder requirements, preparation of other submission documents, securing necessary approvals, and submitting completed proposals.
• Plan and lead project kick-off meetings with MADRE staff and partners to ensure a shared understanding of project goals, objectives, and activities, intended deliverables, timeline, procurement and reporting requirements, etc.
• Support the grantmaking team in the preparation, review and execution of subgrant contract and agreement packages with MADRE partners and grantees.
• Provide structure and develop tools and templates, including financial and reporting templates, to guide staff and partners, enhance project work efficiency, and streamline critical project and grants management processes and activities.
• Provide ongoing technical assistance to MADRE’s staff and partners to build their capacity for financial and programmatic management.
• Work with MADRE’s grantmaking team to ensure timely financial disbursements to partners.
• Liaise with MADRE’s Learning and Evaluation team to ensure timely programmatic monitoring and evaluation and to share results of activities.
• Regularly reconcile financial documentation and expenditures in accordance with approved budgets, and identify and follow up on inconsistencies, as needed.
• Support MADRE’s Human Rights Advocacy team with efficient, effective and proactive grant contract/award compliance including:
o Maintaining strong facility with approved budgets and funder budget requirements and advising on allowable spending, movement of funds and budget modifications;
o Guiding procurements in accordance with MADRE and funder procurement procedures;
o Understanding and administering MADRE’s per diem, cash advance, and other financial approvals protocols.
• Conduct monthly budget-to-actual meetings with key Human Rights Advocacy personnel to ensure project activities and spending are in accordance with approved budgets and implementation plans.
• Collaborate with project implementation staff to communicate and coordinate with grant officials regarding project deliverables, reporting, grant budget or activity modifications, requests for information, site visits, and other requirements.
• With team assistance, manage, prepare, review and submit periodic narrative and financial reports, and other grant documents as required by funders.
• Help ensure that project implementation staff are meeting requirements outlined within MADRE’s award/grant agreement, sub-award agreements, subcontracting plans, hiring requirements, etc.
• Administer consultant contracts and fees per grant requirements
• Utilize tools and resources such as Salesforce and electronic impact evaluation tools to support, improve and enhance large grant tracking, internal reporting systems, learning and evaluation, and maintenance of records.
• Manage accounts of funder proposal and reporting websites, including SAMS Domestic, grants.gov, and grantsolutions.gov, among others.
• Represent MADRE at funder-led capacity building opportunities.
• Assist with the hiring and management of Program Coordinators and external consultants.
• Assist with travel logistics
• Other duties as assigned.
Core Competencies & Qualifications
• Demonstrated commitment to women’s and LGBTIQ human rights and MADRE’s mission.
• Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in human rights, project or grants management or a related social science field and a minimum 5 years of relevant grants management professional experience.
• Substantial experience managing complex government grants.
• Experience using Excel to prepare sophisticated program budgets, reconciliations, and reports.
• Substantive knowledge of and experience with grants and project management.
• Facility providing support, technical assistance, and guidance to colleagues and implementing partners. Comfort with managing up.
• Ability to handle new challenges and to work independently in a largely virtual work setting.
• Strong organizational and time management skills; must be very detail oriented.
• Ability to multi-task, work under tight timeframes and problem-solve.
• Willingness to ask questions, and to receive and incorporate constructive supervisory feedback.
• Excellent writing and editing skills and oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with Salesforce or other impact evaluation software and comfort using new technology a plus.
• Fluency in French, Spanish or Arabic in addition to English a plus.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV and two references to: email@example.com. Please note applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
MADRE is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices based on a person’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, age, ability and other status, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Your contact information*